Re: [tlug] giving up on email

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 04:53:49PM -0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> > dropping this giant telco ex-monopolist in the same cauldron as
> > other (more or less) clueful companies is a bit unfair IMHO.
>
> OK, why?  We have giant clueless companies over here that do little
> about spam, too, and I tar them with the same brush as smaller
> clueless ones.  What's special about interbusiness.it that makes them
> deserve leniency while they continue to let spam flow like water
> through their networks?

Sounds like there's been a misunderstanding here.  Interbusiness deserves
_no_ mercy: in their case, routing abuse@ to /dev/null is a precise
business strategy to keep costs low.  On the other hand, the other ISPs
mentioned by Godwin should deserve some, because on the average (I've
had plenty of positive feedback, but surely YMMV) they answer to LARTs
and take action.

BTW, I'm curious to know which Italian networks you filter, if
it's not classified info. :-)

> Has SPEWS, Spamhaus SBL, et al ever driven a spam-friendly provider
> out of business, or even forced them to clean up their act, to the
> best of anyone's knowledge?

To my knowledge, yes.  Godwin suggested Verio.  I'd add Telefonica
(Spain).

Cheers
 David
--