Re: [tlug] 100mbit to the home

>>>>> "jb" == Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> writes:

    jb> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:59:50PM +0900, Alessandro Mantelli
    jb> wrote:

    >> If I don't need any English Support but just the Japanese One,
    >> which do you think is the cheapest Japanese 100Mb fiber
    >> provider?

    jb> Wrong question.

I'll second that.

There are just too many things that can go wrong.  IIRC, there are
four hardware wiring options: NTT FTTH, NTT *DSL over copper, other
utility FTTH/ADSL, and cable TV.  What are the vast range of service
quality differences from all the different vendors, then?  Basically,
software (or firmware), and service (both installation and
maintenance).  If you just want fast d/l of pr0n, then you can go
cheap.  But if you're looking for 100Mb fiber, you're either in a
different needs bracket, or you're spending too much even on the
cheapest.

And it's worth paying for the business-class static IP, IMO, if it's
worth paying for 100Mbps.

YMMV, of course, but if I were you I'd think very carefully about
whether it wouldn't be a better idea to go with a slow but competent
carrier rather than a fast but unreliable one at any given price.  I
also will bet that---unless you get screwed on quality---you won't
regret paying for whichever you choose.  Why buy pain?

Disclaimer: I'm a former very satisfied GOL customer.  The only reason
I'm former is that my work connection (when and on those protocols/
ports where it works) is a manhole-filling fiber bundle direct into
the World Wide Sewer.  And at the time I let my contract lapse in
2000, there was no difference in quality between a 56kbps connection
to GOL in Tokyo and a 19.2 kbps connection to my office box---because
both went through the then extremely antiquated NTT Tsukuba branch
exchange.  Not to mention that in the office I had call-back service,
so your tax dollars were paying for the phone bill.  Sometimes it _is_
the wire.  :-P

I'll probably be signing up for broadband at home in the near future.
I'm not sure which hardware option I'll use, but GOL is the top of the
list for ISP.