Re: [tlug] Good binary distribution

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 12:54:48PM +0900, BABA Yoshihiko wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 11:38  am, Scott wrote:
> >On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:19:31PM -0700, Jake Morrison wrote:
> >>I am a big Gentoo fan, but sometimes need a good binary
> >>distribution for smaller machines, firewalls, etc.
> >>Any recommendations?
>
> How about FreeBSD?

Although FreeBSD does have many packages included on the CD, especially
if one downloads the 2nd CD, updating is usually done from source
tarballs.  So, for example, if he had to update openssh, that would be
done from source rather than binaary.  Also, general updating of the
system is done from source.

(Still pushing Arch as my favorite binary distro.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: According to Freddy's latest editorial, 'The pep
rally is a place for pseudo-prostitutes to provoke men into a sexual
frenzy, which, when thwarted, results in pointless athletic
competition.'
Xander: And the down-side being?