Re: [tlug] Fedora Project.

> I don't think it's particularly new:  OpenOffice + StarOffice, GNOME
> desktop + Ximian desktop,  Mozilla + Netscape and I'm sure the list
> could go on and on.

you are right, and i have not said it is a new trend.

> Each of these "for profit" versions appear to have met with varying degrees
of success.

i just imagine that there is a trend for 'for profit' groups, which accumulate
a certain 'trust in' due to the value of the actions they have et Wall Street
or Tokyo, as M$ clearly demonstrated years ago. and because of this 'trust
in', the products they sell are standardized to make just one clean product.
no imagination anymore. only money is important. don't care of bugs or
customers. just sell through an excellent marketing.

> It must be expensive to develop and support completely free software.

no, 'free software'  does not mean 'free of charge' ...
of course money is important ... without, it is just hard to live.
i think that since the mind of 'free software' is alive, it is possible to
sell products with a minimum price, with being able to pay all people who
participate to the project.

the way one choose depends on the wishes and objectives of each of us.

sorry for bothering everybody with this off context .....

Marc