Re: [tlug] searching but don't where to look!!

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:50:15PM +0900, Gavin Rollins wrote:
> students and parents are asking questions about linux.. This book is giving
> me many questions I have never thought of.. Another project I have to take
> care of is Recommending a distro for different applications eg,
> 1.Single user working in home office (Mandrake)
> 2. University computer science lab (?)
> 3.corportate web server (RedHat)
> 4. Japanese high school and Jr. High school computer lab (Never used linux)(?)
> 1~3 are from the book, but these questions I have also been asked.
> 4. Two school close to me, That are thinging about starting a computer class
> but funds are VERY LOW. cancel M$..eheheheh!
> Suggestions from all are welcomed

If it had to be Linux, then I recommend:
1. SuSE for the home office.
2. Debian for the CS lab.
3. RedHat or SuSE for handling political issues related to running
   a corporate linux-based web server.
4. Debian or Gentoo for HS CS lab.

If it could be any OS, then I recommend:
1. MacOSX - Easy for anyone to use, and easy to administer.
2. Plan9 - It will ask more of you than any other OS. It will
   challenge many of your preconceived ideas about computer science
   and computer security. Warning: Not for timid, the faint of
   heart, or those with no time to kill.
3. NetBSD - Small, stable, and easy to administer.
4. NetBSD - A consistant OS for teaching fundamentals and concepts;
   unlike dealing with various linux distributions and their methods.

-- Uva