Re: [tlug] Parallel port driving me nuts

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:05:44 +0200, Ian Barwick <ianb@example.com>
wrote to Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com>:

> > Apart from the steps which follow, I've managed to boot the box from a
> > floppy with the "other" O/S  (...)
>
> You mean one of the *BSDs? ;-)

Yep, the one from Redmond :)

> Does /var/log/messages include something like
>
> Jul  7 00:54:56 ianb kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling)
>
> and do you have the lp module?
> Doesn't look like it, although it may be compile into the kernel (I don't
> know Mandrake though).

Nor do I. Don't use it. RH and Slackware here...

That was it. Thanks.

So obvious I didn't see it... I was so centred on the "Parallel port
support" page of the kernel configuration that I'd clean forgotten to go
into the "General Setup" page and add support for line printers.

Oh well, I suppose it happens to the best of us...

Time for bed, I think, now that everything is set up. I can print to the
Slackware box from the Linux boxen in the network and from broken windows
thanks to Samba.

Zzzzzzzzz.....

--
Notice spotted in a field:
THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD