Re: [tlug] Parallel port driving me nuts

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Godwin Stewart wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:05:44 +0200, Ian Barwick <ianb@example.com>
> wrote to Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com>:
>
> > > Apart from the steps which follow, I've managed to boot the box from a
> > > floppy with the "other" O/S  (...)
> >
> > You mean one of the *BSDs? ;-)
>
> Yep, the one from Redmond :)
>
> > Does /var/log/messages include something like
> >
> > Jul  7 00:54:56 ianb kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling)
> >
> > and do you have the lp module?
> > Doesn't look like it, although it may be compile into the kernel (I don't
> > know Mandrake though).
>
> Nor do I. Don't use it. RH and Slackware here...

Duh. I'm sure I read "Mandrake" earlier. Must need a new monitor...

> That was it. Thanks.

(...)

> Oh well, I suppose it happens to the best of us...

... and the rest of us (tries not to mention the incident when I
spent half an evening trying to fix a broken network configuration,
only solved when my better half suggested "looking if all the plugs
are in properly" ...).

Amazing what a slightly different point of view will do ;-)

Ian Barwick