Re: [tlug] maybe a repetitive question about distros

From: "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:27 AM
Subject: Re: [tlug] maybe a repetitive question about distros

> Luke Kearney wrote:
> > Try FreeBSD.
> >
> > It will give you a good comprehensive coverage of HW and it is *very
very*
> > stable. It is not as *fat* as RH but just as functional. See
> > http://www.freebsd.org
>
> Right. FreeBSD is absolutely *renowned* for its comprehensive hardware
> support... *koff*

Do you feel that FBSD is not stable ? The HW requirements for it are very
modest.

For as long as you are not trying to use the absolute latest in video cards
FBSD is quite good
I am not sure that the scoffing is necessary.

> AFAIK, Net is the best of the BSDs when it comes to hardware support,
> and Free is the worst (though Open is also pretty slim). None come near
> Linux in that category.

NetBSD and OpenBSD are the pits when it comes to hardware so not sure why
you give FBSD the
thumbs down. I would put a FBSD system up against any of your linux
varieties any day in terms of performance although Linux is nicer as a
desktop if you want to have something close to winblows but not quite. I
just feel that RH has gotten a bit too automated