Re: [tlug] MySQL vs Oracle

If you really need transactions, then Oracle is better than MySQL.
But even in this case, Postgres will give you everything Oracle has,
except for some extremely high-end features that your company won't
pay for anyway unless they have more money than god.

But if this is a website, and not some sophisticated financial app,
speed rather than absolute guarantees against data inconsistency
is probably your main concern. In this case MySQL (sans transactions)
will blow away everything else.

MySQL has some benchmarks on their site that show performance against
Oracle, but these won't help you win an argument against someone with
their head up their ass, as that someone can always imagine some
hypothetical situation which casts the benchmark in a bad light.

I understand how you feel though. I once worked on an app that was
extremely database intensive. We didn't need transactions or
atomicity or any of that but we did need lightning fast inserts
and selects. MySQL was perfect. But we still had to work on a
10-25 times slower Oracle version because "MySQL makes our product
seem cheap"...