Re: [tlug] And they said it was Free?

[Chuck Muller here, back for more possible punishment, but a bit more
ready to let it roll off...]

> This is pretty amazing. You go to the Mandrake distribution
> download and get hit with all this stuff about becoming a
> member? I mean. Why is that? It's supposed to be free
> and yet they are trying to rip  $120-$1200 a year off you.

I think this presentation skews the facts of the matter just a bit.

I downloaded the three Mandrake 8.2 ISO's for free, like just about
everyone else. These are packed with free software--just about all of
the main stuff that's out there, including Open Office as an RPM.

This "event," that is the big hullaballoo regarding the necessity to
become a Silver Member in order to get StarOffice in the package is
well-treated on the Mandrake web site--they felt they had to defend
themselves after a negative write-up on Z-Net. According to Mandrake,
they originally intended to offer it to all members, but were surprised
by last-minute pricing and licensing changes by Sun. And it is true that
they have admitted to financial difficulties. I don't get the feeling
that they are trying to rip anyone off.

I understand the position of the Free Software purists, and maybe if I
came from that kind of background, I'd take that kind of position. But
if you think that the matter of challenging M$ on the corporate desktop
is of any importance, I don't see how you can expect every single
Linux-zoku company out there to give away everything for free. I think
it's unrealistic.

Anyhow, I was delighted, being the very recent Linux convert that I am,
with the smoothness and speed of the LM 8.2 install (10 minutes on a
Dell P3 800 MHz), which, to my surprise, placed functional icons on my
desktop for all CD drives and my USB scanner.

As far as Xemacs is concerned, well, uh, feggedaboudit.

Chuck

--

Charles Muller
Toyo Gakuen University

Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJK-English Dictionary
www.acmuller.net