Re: japanese fonts: ttf, ghostscript + vflib, XFree 4.0.x

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 03:43:49PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> gs*-vflib is one of those !#"$% Japanese patches that has never been
> acceptable to the upstream maintainer because it violates coding
> standards and whatnot, and the Japanese maintainers seem happy to
> chalk it up to jinshu sabetsu and not do it right.

<ARAAAAAAGGARRRAARGAAH!>

After spending a couple of hours wading through the source, trying to
figure out which patches are what, I'm starting to suspect that there
is a certain amount of "well, heck, it works -- who cares if it's
pretty?" there. The debian-jp package is no exception.

I tweak the debian ghostscript packages that I build anyway (to add
in the nifty gimp-print driver, which does wonders for lots of modern
cheap color inkjets), so I was kind of hoping that the japanese
developers had just taken the regular (relatively well-packaged)
debian gs-aladdin and patched it with the japanese stuff. No such
luck.

</ARAAAAAAGGARRRAARGAAH!>

Fortunately, the package came with a list of patches and where they
came from. I guess I'll be japanizing the package myself after all;
it's too cold to go outside here anyway.

--
john seebach           ~   "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were
jseebach@example.com  ~   a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."