Re: japanese fonts: ttf, ghostscript + vflib, XFree 4.0.x

    John> Funny, I hadn't thought to look there, and in fact had gone
    John> so far as to remove the debian-jp stuff from my sources.list
    John> a while ago because I thought that the debian-jp project had
    John> been abandoned in favor of putting more the japanese stuff
    John> directly into debian proper.

The goal has always been to reduce non-us, debian-jp, etc to the bare
minumum.

gs*-vflib is one of those !#"$% Japanese patches that has never been
acceptable to the upstream maintainer because it violates coding
standards and whatnot, and the Japanese maintainers seem happy to
chalk it up to jinshu sabetsu and not do it right.  (In this case,
both Ghostscript and VFlib are extremely complex, and it may very well
be that Ghostscript's "platform fonts" interface is simply not capable
of handling VFlib's needs.  But Peter told me a couple years back that
no one has ever approached him seriously about incorporating the VFlib
stuff.)