Re: tlug: with "xv" my Linux freezes (?!)

Martin Minich wrote:

> hello all,
> i've got a PC with Intel Pentium Celeron 266 CPU and
> RedHat 6.0 Linux on it;
> 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Wed Jul 21 23:34:50 CEST 1999
>
>  my system completely freezes,

> what sort of upgrade would cure the problem? i'm flooded in work and, more
> on that, my machine is not connected to the internet, so i'm rather
> lazy with downloading packages, installing, and that sort of things;

Well, RH6.0 is ancient, don't blame it if it crashes on you :)
I suppose both of these bugs you described are in XFree, the latter one with the
fontselector is obvious. Even now with the latest Xfree 3 I can get it to choke on
some fonts sometimes.
You really should upgrade, at least the kernel and X. If your box is not connected
to the net, then you could buy some magazine (Linux Magazine for example) that has
some recent Linux distro bundled with on cd. Or as an alternate you could order
Linux cds on the internet.

B0Ti.