tlug: with "xv" my Linux freezes (?!)

hello all,

i've always thought that those things are bound to happened just
with that other "os", but...

i've got a PC with Intel Pentium Celeron 266 CPU and
RedHat 6.0 Linux on it;

i'm running a 2.2.5-15 kernel (that i compiled on the machine myself):

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.5-15 (root@example.com) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Wed Jul 21 23:34:50 CEST 1999

my X-windows system is that of XFree86-3.3.3.1-49 RedHat package
and (if this is of any relevance) there is glibc-2.1.1-6 there

i've got problems using program called "xv" under X
(version xv-3.10a from RH package xv-3.10a-13)

the problem looks like this:
when i run the program and try to use some of its menu
(that is to click on the button and then (holding the mouse button)
moving the mouse cursor down the menu), my system completely freezes,
that is it does not react either on mouse or keybord (neither
ctrl-alt-backspace nor ctrl-alt-del is of any help); only "hard reset"
is possible;

i tried even this: i logged in as a root, issued some sort of
"reboot in 5 minutes" command, then ran X and xv as a user, froze,
waited 5 minutes ... and nothing; so it seems the system is completely "halted"

i must add, that similar situation (the system does not respond to anything)
happens also e.g. when using "xfontsel" and having something hard computed,
e.g. a bitmap font scaled to a large size; but when the job is done, the
system begins to behave normally again; unlike xv, which freezes forever;

i'd like to ask, whether some of you know, where is the catch -- what
sort of upgrade would cure the problem? i'm flooded in work and, more
on that, my machine is not connected to the internet, so i'm rather
lazy with downloading packages, installing, and that sort of things;

thank you for any respond,
greetings from

			martin