Re: RedHat 6.1 and Japanese

Hi,

I love the smell of flamewars in the morning.... smells like victory!

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 07:37:59PM +0900, Christopher Sekiya wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 06:46:32PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > But they are _not_ responsible for Japanizing everything that hasn't
> > been Japanized yet.
>
> It is in their own best interest to maintain a level of quality in their
> localized distribution that is equal to other, non-localized distributions.
>
> I used to hope that the market would ensure survival of the fittest, and that
> Vine's maintainers would be able to produce a superior localized distro that
> would blow TL out of the water.  Such has not happened.
Bleah.  Chris, even I am a bit too cynical for that.  I would bitch about
how people should just get off their lazy butts and code if they want a good
Japanized distro, but I know how much of a pain normal distro work can be,
and it is something that I would only wish uppon some of my worst enemies.

That being said I really don't care that much about Japanized Linux systems,
so I might not be the right persom to comment on this.  (Yes, I've dabbled
in the Japanese distro creation process, it is not something I'm doing again
in the forseable future, unless significant incentive is brought to my attention
.[1])

--
Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group / SIGUSR1 R&D

[1]: Broadband net access in Japan, a SUN E450, or a ton of cash are examples
of said incentives.

PGP signature