Re: RedHat 6.1 and Japanese

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 01:39:20PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> That's because you use Sparc and not Alpha :-)

Point.  I don't run Linux on my Alphas, same as I don't run Linux (anymore)
on my Sparcs ;)

> I also think that it is unfair to neglect TL's historical role in
> commercializing I18N for Linux.

Commercializing?  Sure, they've certainly made a lot of money by making it a
viable market.

But do they develop their own localization patches?  Their core business is
Japanese distributions, right?  Do they wait until someone else has released
the patch and then profit from their labour, or do they actually do useful
in-house development?[1]

I was going to check ftp.turbolinux.co.jp for the latest version of pine-jp
to make my point, but I saw this:

booga:~$ ftp ftp.turbolinux.co.jp
Connected to ftp.turbolinux.co.jp.
in.ftpd: error in loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: Error 23
ftp>

Somebody is about to have a very bad day ;)

-- Chris

[1] _Not_ a strawman.