Re: [Fwd: tlug: vine]

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     Scott> THIS I must see.  Having pulled my hair out many a time at
>     Scott> PHT over, "The japanese patch to (package) has rendered it
>     Scott> completely useless for anyone ELSE besides the Japanese"
>
> And why shouldn't it?  Obviously (based on past posting and
> publications), I consider I18N to be only a halfway house to the Only
> True Way of M17N.  But that's a lot of work to do to get the results
> you need if you have to reverse-engineer somebody else's work.

why shouldn't it???  Wasn't the theme of your part of that joint talk we
did at TLUG back in (December?) "Don't wimp out - do it right" ??

>     Scott> So the Debian folks have a choice to make - go to glibc 2.1
>     Scott> and possibly break Japanese, or stay with 2.0 longer and
>     Scott> lag a bit behind the rest of everyone.  I think that TL is
>     Scott> experiencing a similar issue.
>
> Well, I hope they break the Japanese so that it will get fixed right.

amen to that.

> Anyway, Ulrich was promising a correct fix for the wctombs stuff at
> end of March, maybe it will happen for 2.2 ;-)

I talked to Ulrich at Linux World Expo in San Jose around the early/mid
part of March... that's where he was telling me that the Japanese patch
sucked and that they wanted help from Japanese coders to get a correct
patch for the NEXT version of glibc...

--
Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>