Re: [Fwd: tlug: vine]

    Scott> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote: THIS I must see.  Having
    Scott> pulled my hair out many a time at PHT over, "The japanese
    Scott> patch to (package) has rendered it completely useless for
    Scott> anyone ELSE besides the Japanese"

    >> And why shouldn't it?  Obviously (based on past posting and
    >> publications), I consider I18N to be only a halfway house to
    >> the Only True Way of M17N.  But that's a lot of work to do to
    >> get the results you need if you have to reverse-engineer
    >> somebody else's work.

    Scott> why shouldn't it???  Wasn't the theme of your part of that
    Scott> joint talk we did at TLUG back in (December?) "Don't wimp
    Scott> out - do it right" ??

Yes.  That's why I followed up the Pine example.  I don't know how to
make the tradeoffs more favorable to doing it right; certainly not
without more understanding of why Japanese don't see it as important.
I advocate going the I18N/M17N path, but I'm not going to condemn
people who don't go that way until I've at least simulated walking 1.6
km in their shoes ;-)

I have my theories, but they're of "beer goggle" quality right now
(best read through the bottom of a recently emptied chuu-jokkie).

    >> Anyway, Ulrich was promising a correct fix for the wctombs
    >> stuff at end of March, maybe it will happen for 2.2 ;-)

    Scott> I talked to Ulrich at Linux World Expo in San Jose around
    Scott> the early/mid part of March... that's where he was telling
    Scott> me that the Japanese patch sucked and that they wanted help
    Scott> from Japanese coders to get a correct patch for the NEXT
    Scott> version of glibc...

I guess he couldn't be that outspoken at M17N here in Tsukuba :-(

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1. Linux SMP on a quad-Xeon server
2. The Green Frog Linux distribution
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691