Re: [Fwd: tlug: vine]

Hirotaka Yoshioka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a programer who has experience more than 15 years to
> do some software localization (Japanization/Asianzation) and
> internationalization.

> > THIS I must see.  Having pulled my hair out many a time at PHT over,
> > "The japanese patch to (package) has rendered it completely useless for
> > anyone ELSE besides the Japanese" (example: pine-jp converts European
> > accent marks/etc into kanji) and the ever-popular "Ulrich doesn't give a
> > rat's a** about Japanese and rightly so since the Japanese glibc patch
> > is, well, a pile of rat sh**" problem... apparently there's some
> > compatibility issues with glibc 2.1 vs nihongo, but I haven't delved
> > into the details of that one yet (no longer my problem, thankfully).
>
> I think the issues on Japanese patch are
> 1) The code itself is not so good.
> 2) The programer which made the patch is not experienced with
> the internationalization
> 3) He/she does not care the importance of the merge into
> the baseline. He/she does not understand well the importance.

I think you've pretty much summed it up here, Hirotaka.  Unfortunately
the japanese glibc patch or lack thereof will keep anyone who wants to
use Japanese from moving to 2.1, which is a pretty serious issue for
jp-enabled distributions.  I agree with the reasons as for why it's bad,
but what needs to happen is someone has to step up and make a *good*
patch (ie, work with the glibc core team) that can be rolled into glibc
2.1.?? or 2.2.x.

So the Debian folks have a choice to make - go to glibc 2.1 and possibly
break Japanese, or stay with 2.0 longer and lag a bit behind the rest of
everyone.  I think that TL is experiencing a similar issue.

--
Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>