[Fwd: tlug: vine]

I sent this earlier today and it didn't go through, so i'm resending...

--
--------------------------
Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>

---- Begin included message ----
"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     Eric> Can someone compare debian's JP version and vine?
>
> Debian doesn't really have a JP version anymore; most JP stuff is
> getting integrated into the main distributions now.  That seems to be
> the goal.  However, that has to fit into the Debian
> internationalization framework, and will take time.  In the long run,
> I would bet that Debian is better internationalized; Japanese
> distributions have historically been inward looking.  However, in the
> short term, Vine will be better integrated (every so often I find that
> ill-chosen version-numbering by the Debian JP people forces me to say
> uninstall and reinstall all of X in order to get an i18n
> reimplementation of features originally developed for Japanese) from
> the point of view of Japanese usage.

THIS I must see.  Having pulled my hair out many a time at PHT over,
"The japanese patch to (package) has rendered it completely useless for
anyone ELSE besides the Japanese" (example: pine-jp converts European
accent marks/etc into kanji) and the ever-popular "Ulrich doesn't give a
rat's a** about Japanese and rightly so since the Japanese glibc patch
is, well, a pile of rat sh**" problem... apparently there's some
compatibility issues with glibc 2.1 vs nihongo, but I haven't delved
into the details of that one yet (no longer my problem, thankfully).

Then again, maybe the Debian folks can talk some sense into the Japanese
patch maintainers or what have you.  I'm hoping that will be the case.

Currently I'm debating whether or not to switch to SuSE or Debian
when/if TL goes the way of the dinosaur (ie, changing from a large
imposing beast into a retarded purple plush toy).. Currently leaning
towards Debian, actually.