Re: [Fwd: tlug: vine]

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:
>     HY> I think the issues on Japanese patch are
>     HY> 1) The code itself is not so good.
>
> That doesn't stop non-Japanese patches from getting in ;-)
>
>     HY> 2) The programer which made the patch is not experienced with
>     HY> the internationalization
>
> So somebody should educate them (preferably Uli, but he's busy, I'm sure).
>
>     HY> 3) He/she does not care the importance of the merge into
>     HY> the baseline. He/she does not understand well the importance.
>
> This I don't understand.  Isn't the importance obvious?  Why don't
> Japanese programmers care about merging?  In fact they do; in the
> Emacs context Japanese programmers are perhaps more upset about the
> XEmacs/FSF split than others, and are quite active in producing
> workarounds and emulations.  But for some reason this does not extend
> to fixing their own code to work correctly in situations they
> personally don't care about, even when it would mean they could put
> the maintenance burden on someone else.

Emacs (MULE) is an example of the right person did the right thing.

If it is obvious, we would see a lot of free software which have
(integrate) Japanese patch. He/she does not know the importance, yet.

> If Japanese programmers don't care about merging, that's tough for the
> rest of us.  But I would like to understand why not :-(

I do care. I should talk them its importance. But it should
take time.

>     Scott> So the Debian folks have a choice to make - go to glibc 2.1
>     Scott> and possibly break Japanese, or stay with 2.0 longer and
>     Scott> lag a bit behind the rest of everyone.  I think that TL is
>     Scott> experiencing a similar issue.
>
> Well, I hope they break the Japanese so that it will get fixed right.

If you using a rpm distribution,

  rpm -e libwcsmbs

makes you happy before you upgrade your system to glibc 2.1

> Anyway, Ulrich was promising a correct fix for the wctombs stuff at
> end of March, maybe it will happen for 2.2 ;-)

I'd like to help.

Regards,
  Hiro
--