Re: [tlug] OT: Japans digitilization

Darren Cook writes:

 > That is surprising Stephen, as it is one worth following.

I didn't mean I don't pay attention to what's happening when it comes
up; between Lawfare, CyberLaw, and Risky Biz I'm pretty sure I'll hear
about it within a week or two.  I meant I don't websearch for it
multiple times a day.

 > NVidia is not famous for its open source drivers.

Yeah, well, I don't much care, I run Apple hardware for eye candy.  If
worst comes to worst I'll get cynic or wileyc to refurbish a Hazeltine
1510 for me, and go back to ASCII art.  (Not sure what I'll do about
video editing for courseware if that happens before we go back into
the classroom, though. ;-)

 > There are fears they are buying ARM to force the ARM customers to
 > play to their rules.  Or do a Google and kill it off, to make a gap
 > for their own CPU design.

They can try, but that in-house design will need to be *bitchin*,
because the Chinese would love a monopoly on ARM.

 > If so, the UK government haven't been making the right noises so
 > far. I suspect they don't want to be seen to interfere in a
 > U.S. company buying something from a Japanese company, even if it
 > employs about 3000 people in the UK.

The UK wasn't a suspect.  EU regulators (IIRC ARM has facilities
elsewhere in Europe), and the Chinese have a license at least to
manufacture, although it's not clear what rights they have.  Take all
that with a grain of salt, what I know about the situation is from
CyberLaw and RiskyBiz, both of which serve up liberal helpings of
gossip along with the hard-core wonking.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index