Re: [tlug] OT: Japans digitilization

Christian Horn writes:

 > Even if the facts do not change just from one person opposing,
 > having other people notice that there is an opposition is a good
 > thing.

I didn't say otherwise.  I'm just saying that I doubt our opposition
is going to make a difference because there's too much immediate
benefit to giving up their data for the smooth apes.[1]

 > Enough people opposing has also already led to the government
 > changing it's direction.

Sure, when it also advances their anti-American-tech-company agenda.
It's going to be interesting when these rule differences cause long-
lasting network partitions -- Trump found himself unable to go through
with his most aggressive moves against TikTok and WeChat for that
reason, but European (German) courts don't seem to be as easily
inhibited as Trump (!!).

 > - Mastodon as decentralized twitter/g+ alternative

None of the people I follow are on Mastodon.  *Zero*, at least as of
mid-summer when last I checked.  That's a big problem with fully
decentralized.  Eg, IRC works because it has a spinal chord (actually,
several, but Freenode has everything I want and tons more), even if it
doesn't have a brain.  I guess Mastodon will likely evolve such spinal
chords, but I doubt it will keep that close-knit "just us" friendly-
network nature to the extent that it does evolve a backbone that lots
of sites connect through.

 > - Tiny tiny rss to collect rss/atom feeds, much more flexible
 >   now and I have the data in my hands

More flexible than what for what?  Twitter feeds?

Footnotes:
[1]  A silver star to anyone recognizing which proto-fascist SF writer
I'm borrowing from.  Promoted to gold for the title. :-)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index