Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

> While Linux gives us the freedom to change it, the vast majority of
> people aren't able to.  Even though I have some programming skills, I
> don't have the time to tweak my system.  I can buy a Windows machine
> and the web cam and DVD drive will just work.

The past two (at least) years everything I've plugged into a Linux
machine has worked automatically, first time, out of the box. *I just
plug it in.*

Everything I've plugged into a Windows 7 box has *not*, and has needed
searching for drivers, advice, or finding up the CD that came in the
box. Some things simply don't work - we never got Windows to work with
the network printer, and so for two years Window Users in our house
instead print to PDF and email me the PDF to print out.

Mint 16 had auto-found the printer on the network, and auto-configured
it, before I'd even got to the "sort out the printer" item on my to do
list. When I did get there I literally went to the add printer dialog
and was very confused to see the name of my printer already there.

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!