Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>> While Linux gives us the freedom to change it, the vast majority of
>> people aren't able to.  Even though I have some programming skills, I
>> don't have the time to tweak my system.  I can buy a Windows machine
>> and the web cam and DVD drive will just work.
>
> The past two (at least) years everything I've plugged into a Linux
> machine has worked automatically, first time, out of the box. *I just
> plug it in.*
>
> Everything I've plugged into a Windows 7 box has *not*, and has needed
> searching for drivers, advice, or finding up the CD that came in the
> box. Some things simply don't work - we never got Windows to work with
> the network printer, and so for two years Window Users in our house
> instead print to PDF and email me the PDF to print out.
>
> Mint 16 had auto-found the printer on the network, and auto-configured
> it, before I'd even got to the "sort out the printer" item on my to do
> list. When I did get there I literally went to the add printer dialog
> and was very confused to see the name of my printer already there.

Well, perhaps "DVD drive" was a bad example.  But webcam and printing
for me just works with Windows.  Sure, I do need to dig up the CD that
came with the printer ... but that is easier than setting up a printer
in CUPS if you can't find your printer in the list of printers.

Linux is making huge improvements compared to years ago.  No doubt
about that.  But it's still not up to Windows yet (though I have not
ran Windows 8 before).

And then there's the other problem where you might  work with people
who aren't in IT and need to use Microsoft Office.  You could explain
to them the wonders of Libreoffice, but what's the point if it is
company policy?

Ray