Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:
> s/and know how to use them//  The point of using Apple stuff is that
> they do HCI better than anybody else, including frills like "stylish"
> and "looks cool" and "their image character is people doing neat artsy
> stuff", and some things that aren't frills, like *working Japanese
> input out of the box*.  I think this has a lot to do with why many
> Japanese like Apple -- it fits the monozukuri culture (kaizen, kaizen,
> migaki, migaki) of "give me an object that is mostly self-explanatory
> and looks nice".

Very popular in Hong Kong, too.  Look at the Google images for "Apple
Store Hong Kong" or see
http://www.cultofmac.com/115416/woah-check-out-the-massive-crowds-for-apples-first-hong-kong-store/
.

They have multiple stores now, but the one above is always full of
people.  I don't know if Ginza is the main Japanese store, but easily
more people than the Ginza one...

I walked through one store in HK a short while ago and there was a
course taking place to teach people how to use their new Mac.  About
5-6 people in their 50s or older was listening.  That is something
that neither Linux nor Windows do...  You can take a Windows course
with some educational institute, but Apple ties it with their product.
 I think some people in their 50s or 60s who just want to turn on a
system and video chat with their grand kids would appreciate it.

Considering I had friends who thought that a computer and Microsoft
Windows was inseparable, I guess both Linux and iOS (Apple) are good
at showing everyone they have a choice.

Ray