Re: [tlug] "How to"

Bruno Raoult writes:

 > My idea (beside last meeting) was to get a few solutions. git is
 > one, only one. When we have a few, we just can try all of them and
 > discuss.

Uh, the polite way to say that is

    Thank you, Steve!

    Does anybody else have a suggestion?  I'm sure there are other
    good ways.

rather than putting down the contribution you've already received.

 > I won't tell anything about git itself, I don't know how it works
 > internally.  However, I believe there is no magic there (it is so
 > difficult to compare 2 files, so finding 2 identical files within
 > 10,000 is not as easy as running "git").

Believe what you like.  The fact is that git knows if two files in the
tree it is managing are identical.  The problem for my design is how
to ask git for their names.  And you're right, there is no magic: git
doesn't compare files, so it is not limited by the speed of file
comparison.

 > The point was to be fast (my initial question).

git will be fast, after the initial set up, which does require reading
all the existing files.

 > I have a 4,000+ directory that I could use for testing different
 > solutions. If you could provide me a full script,

Not gonna happen.  You asked for a suggestion, you got it.  You want a
script, write it yourself.  I don't have an itch to scratch here.