Re: [tlug] Possible command to boost to laptop performance

Marty, Edward, Josh, Stephen,

Thanks for responding.

After having played with it a while, the speed improvement I'm seeing is
only to do with switching programs. Sometimes, when the memory usage is
high, it can take a minute (seriously) to switch between Netbeans and
Firefox. I can't hear the hard drive swapping, since it's a very quiet
HD, but I assume that's what's happening.

However, if I clear the memory before loading those two programs, then
switching between them is much faster. Mere seconds.

So I think the issue is that when Ubuntu first loads, it might put stuff
into memory on the assumption that it will help certain actions go
faster. However, it seems whatever that stuff is, I'm not really using
it, and not having it in memory clears the way for the applications I am
using.

Generally, I find that when I'm going to switch tasks on my laptop, say
from studying Japanese to doing a little coding, the most optimal thing
to do is close all the running applications, clear the memory, and then
open only the ones relevant to the next task.

--
Dave M G