Re: [tlug] Rooting the Android phone rocks! (Also: screw Docomo!)

On 11/21/10 23:26, Dave M G wrote:

I was down at the Docomo shop last week, and, among other things, I
asked when my HT-03A would be upgraded from its current Android 1.6 to 2.2.

They wouldn't say, they didn't know, blah blah blah...

Probably never, the HT-03A is AFAIK pretty much phased out.

I also asked how much it might cost me to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy.
You know, since it has version 2.2 and all. About 30,000 yen. Huh. Can't
help but wonder if the lack of an update has anything to do with the
profit they make from me switching phones...

That's the general carrier strategy everywhere: only new phones get
the latest software version, so that people would buy more new phones.
There is usually no hardware limitation for running the newest Android on older phones, but binary drivers for things like cameras and GPS
make things harder.

Now, not only is my HT-03A running 2.2, allowing me to have the latest
features, it's a heck of a lot faster, too.

Welcome to the club :) While it works and is indeed a bit faster
(mostly due to JIT support) it's no replacement for a faster CPU.
Use a newer (1GHz) phone for half an hour and you will never want
to go back to your 03.

Galaxy is pretty good actually, despite trying to look like an
iPhone. Unlike the stuff coming from the likes of Sharp.