Re: [tlug] Possible command to boost to laptop performance

Dave M G wrote:
> After having played with it a while, the speed improvement I'm seeing is
> only to do with switching programs. Sometimes, when the memory usage is
> high, it can take a minute (seriously) to switch between Netbeans and
> Firefox. I can't hear the hard drive swapping, since it's a very quiet
> HD, but I assume that's what's happening.

Maybe you want to look at your memory and swap usage and
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness.
If the other app was swapped out for no good reason, but you have enough
ram you could disable swap altogether or reduce swappiness to a low
value.

> Generally, I find that when I'm going to switch tasks on my laptop, say
> from studying Japanese to doing a little coding, the most optimal thing
> to do is close all the running applications, clear the memory, and then
> open only the ones relevant to the next task.

That shouldn't be needed if you have enough ram.
If memory size is an issue maybe you could try ramzswap:
http://linux-tipps.blogspot.com/2010/08/fun-with-compcacheramzswap.html

--
Tobias						PGP: http://8ef7ddba.uguu.de