Re: [tlug] Possible command to boost to laptop performance

On 11/03/2010 07:04 PM, Marty Pauley wrote:
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Dave M G<dave@example.com>  wrote:

I find that on my Ubuntu laptop, running this when the memory and cache
usage seems high (going by the memory/cache monitor graph Gnome panel
applet) will cause the memory and cache to drop by half or more. Not
always, but often enough. As a result, the laptop seems to perform
better, as I think it's *swapping less*.

I would have thought it would perform _worse_ just after you flush all
the cache, since the cache is there to improve performance.

If your applications have exhausted all available memory and are running on swap, more aggressive culling of the cache might improve performance ;)

Edward