Re: [tlug] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On 16 June 2010 01:59, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>> Kenkyusha has a very nice online collection for a fee. There's even
>> an English guide to subscribing.
>>

> Wait... is Kenkyusha only dedicated to English<->Japanese dictionaries? By
> subscribing, all you seem to get is fifteen zillion E<->J dictionaries, and
> one Sanseido J<->J dictionary (which seems like it might just be the same as
> the one available for free on Sanseido's site anyway).

Yes, that's the Sanseido 大辞林, which along with 広辞苑, 新明纔瘢韭絎竢蹠\xC2 瘤\xE4 大辞舌皛逅跂勉闕㉒ 蜩
闔\xE5 閹 抅\xE5 轣蜴 ‰繝闔筬跚鈬\xA2 癖 粡笏蜿釶鱸纉\xAE 部ヸ 瘡齒 抅\xE5 闔\xE5 闔 抅\xE5 拍\xEF
黼鴟纈\xAE ㉙ 葹洹 抅\xE5 大辞林 and 広辞苑 on my workstation.)

> I'm looking for a huge, complete, kickass J<->J dictionary. Not only do I
> not need any form of E<->J, I actively want to avoid it. I'm now solely
> looking up definitions in Japanese. If the English definition is presented,
> my brain can't ignore it.
>
> Which brings me back to my original question... does that exist in an online
> form anywhere? My searches have come up with nothing.
>
> Where is the Japanese version of the Oxford dictionary online?

There are Japanese equivalents of the OED:
- the 日本国語大辞典 published by 小学館. (10 volumes.)
- the 大辭典 (平凡社) (26 vols)
- etc

AFAIK none are in online or CD editions.

Read Tom Gally's article at http://www.gally.net/translation/kokugo.htm

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University