Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On 6/14/2010 9:23 AM, Dave M G wrote:
For example, I recently looked up the word 補佐官. Neither dictionary
had an entry for it.

First, let me say that I like WWWJDict. It's the only dictionary I know of that's really meant for English speakers learning Japanese. But sometimes I think it's a bit too complete.

When I looked up 補佐官 on/dic.yahoo.co.jp, I was refered to 補佐 and 官 which are 'aid' and 'government service' respectively. From WWWJDict, pronunciation of 補佐官 is ほさかん and of 補佐-官 (as two separate words) is ほさ-かん..

So what I'm wondering is would the Japanese define 補佐官 as one word or two.

And that said, does this thread belong on the lingo list? I'm cross-posting to both groups thinking it probably does.

Steve S.