Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 01:23:20 +0900
Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> For example, I recently looked up the word 補佐官. Neither dictionary
> had an entry for it.

I'm not sure whether 補佐官 is a term that's used often outside of
longer compounds. I did find entries for compounds such as...

アメリカ合衆国大統領首席補佐官 (White House Chief of Staff)
首相補佐官
内閣総理大臣補佐官
CIO補佐官

(You could argue that it should be in a dictionary anyway but let's not
get too off-topic.)

As for JP-JP dictionaries, let me add http://kotobank.jp/ to the list.
I've seen Japanese native speakers use it.

Then there is http://e-words.jp/ for IT-related vocabulary.

For more colloquial terms that standard dictionaries wouldn't touch with
a 10-foot pole, try http://zokugo-dict.com/

Martin

  Martin Killmann
  Plat'Home Co., Ltd.
  International Sales
  Akihabara Daibiru 9F
  1-18-13 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0021 Japan
  E-mail: martin@example.com
  Tel: +81-3-3251-2603  Fax: +81-3-3251-0629