Re: [tlug] [OT] Interesting info for foreigners living in JP

On 2009-01-06 17:16 +0900 (Tue), CL wrote:

> Curt Sampson wrote:
>
>> Actually, my impression is that he just has fairly American expectations
>> for how life should work, and is spreading the gospel here.
>
> As an American, this is something I detest in Americans.

Whether I detest it or not depends on what it is. A lot of good ideas
have come out of the U.S.

> Debit writes like someone who signed the sales contract and is just now
> finding out that even though Ford owns a piece of Lamborghini, he's
> still stuck with a Ford Escort that can't pull the skin off rice pudding
> no matter how long he gets his payments in on time.

That's not my impression. I get the sense that he's always known what
he was getting into, at least since the time he decided to become an
activist. It was long, long after he started doing what he does that he
even decided to go for permanent residence, much less citizenship.

> I think the police and prosecutors discriminate against all criminals
> pretty much fairly and equally....

I'd say not. The attempted rapists who walk away because the cop doesn't
even want to investigate the girl's story are treated rather differently
from the suspect, who may or may not be a criminal, who's arrested.

Not to start a campaign against this kind of thing yourself isn't
unreasonable to me; we all have a limited amount of time and a lot of
options as to what we can do to improve the world. To say that nobody
should try to make this situation better is an entirely different
matter.

And in the end, I suspect that Arudo is campaigning against exactly
people like you, too. Would you be so critical of him if he were a
native Japanese?

> Debit's influence = 0.

So things like getting a corrupt mayor kicked out of office count as
zero influence? I'm not buying that.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com