Re: [tlug] [OT] Interesting info for foreigners living in JP

As for his activism, well, everybody needs a hobby. And while I'm not
about to take this sort of thing on, it's nice to think that there's
a possibility that one day I can head south out of Shinjuku down
Meiji-dori on my bicycle of an evening and not get stopped by the
police.

I suppose you are right. Even if I think he is tilting at windmills AND being generally grouchy at the same time, his efforts do have their own merrit. I still have to say that I question his choice in targets. Also, I keep finding myself tempted to try to rewrite his web page. ^^;; It is not pretty. hehehehe.

Umm... y'all don't think that because some bull in a china shop broke a few plates that identifying with the bull will automatically get you a discount on a set of fine dinner plates... do you?

I agree that everyone needs a hobby. I suppose I could even forgive the jerks who were *licking* the fish down in Tsukiji for the fact that I can no longer invite visitors to the docks to see the auctions. But at some point you just gotta call a spade a spade and recognize that some people think the world revolves around themselves and nobody else's opinion (or culture) is worth the rice paper it's written on. And sometimes you just gotta reject that viewpoint.

I think Debito is a square peg in a round hole. He has a few useful points for fellow square pegs who choose to follow his path to citizenship -- but no more than you could otherwise find on less vitriolic sites after a bit of in-depth Google searching.

Truth be told, I'm embarassed to count him as a fellow gaijin...

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.