Re: [tlug] [OT] Interesting info for foreigners living in JP

Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2009-01-06 17:16 +0900 (Tue), CL wrote:
>> Debit writes like someone who signed the sales contract and is just now
>> finding out that even though Ford owns a piece of Lamborghini, he's
>> still stuck with a Ford Escort that can't pull the skin off rice pudding
>> no matter how long he gets his payments in on time.
>
> That's not my impression. I get the sense that he's always known what
> he was getting into, at least since the time he decided to become an
> activist. It was long, long after he started doing what he does that he
> even decided to go for permanent residence, much less citizenship.

Just read his bit on him becoming a citizen[1],

	And as I was drawn deeper into the Otaru Exclusionary Onsens
	Issue (a future column), I watched MoJ files fatten with
	newspaper clippings bearing my name and face. Seriously. I would
	be a test case.

	"Will my activism void me?" I asked.

	"No. You are protesting within the parameters of the Japanese
	Constitution. It will have no effect."

	I took that as tatemae--until the phone call came in September
	2000, a mere eleven months after submission.

	"Welcome to Japan, Arudou-san."

Edward

1. http://www.debito.org/japantodaycolumns1-3.html