Re: [tlug] Linux distro!: Centos is RHEL

On 4/21/08, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

> Well, Fedora 9 has a thingie that will, hopefully, make it relatively
>  easy to update from Fedora 8.  The bugs are still being ironed out.
>  On the bright side, the Fedora testing list is far less busy than it was
>  a couple of weeks ago, meaning fewer people are having problem.s

Hmmm.  O.K.  That makes a temporary FC 8 that I don't want a bit more
attractive.

>  > Does Ubuntu support both the proprietary accelerated ATI driver and Japanese?
>

> It supports Japanese.  Although I cover it briefly on my page, at this
>  point, you're probably better off going through their forums for the
>  latest and greatest tutorial.

O.K.  If I get really desperate, I'll do that.

>  > I'm almost willing to give up rpm compatibility if I get something in
>  > return.  I still
>  > remember the horror of Storm Linux and trying to remove a package in apt and
>  > having 2/3 of my packages removed at the same time.
>

> Noooo problem, Fedora can do that.  Remove wireless-tools and watch it
>  take away most KDE programs--oh, sorry, I thought you meant that was a
>  good thing.  :)

That must have changed.  I replaced wireless-tools (by removing it
first) and the
only two conflicts I got were with NetworkManager and kwifimanager.
NetworkManager was easy enough to find a compatible SRPM (to my RHEL 4
userland), kwifimanager needed a patch in order to build, but otherwise was no
biggie - the patch was a one-liner.  A functional and most up-to-date wireless-
tools is very high on my must-have list.  :-)

Red Hat does stupid things with their RPM spec files sometimes, but I wasn't
aware they had sunk that low.  Odd considering how RPM is technically an
in-house invention for them.  Considering how old RHEL 4 is and their disdain
for the desktop maybe it's just that they had 0 users for their wifi support.

-sb