Re: [tlug] Linux distro!: Centos is RHEL

On 4/21/08, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:

> 10 years ago i was using Red Hat on my personal machines, and had been
>  using it for a couple years already. Today i still use Red Hat, though
>  on servers at work. About 4 or 5 years ago i switched to Debian on my
>  personal machines, and have no intention of switching to something else
>  (thank you "aptitude" and easy upgrading!). I'm expecting both Red Hat
>  and Debian to still be around in 10 years. Is this atypical?

The average distro probably will not be.  It's worth noting though that the
Original 3 (Slackware, Red Hat and Debian) are still around.

Now continuing with the ongoing contest ....  I am saddened to announce
that the Momonga CD crashed and burned instead of booting, which makes
Rainer Schuermann eligible for a runner up prize.

Both Fedora Core 8 and OpenSUSE 11.0 beta1 boot and detect all the
hardware properly on the Lenovo.  The OpenSUSE runtime is exactly the
sort of bleeding edge runtime I want (sans stuff like crAppArmor , but
I won't be
using a distro kernel anyway) - and it properly loaded a Radeon X server driver.
Unfortunately, they have a kernel module for a feature I'd never heard of
`aufs' that isn't in the mainline and oopses at boot preventing
installation from
working. :-(

Mandriva has no Asian language support, the Vine Linux download page
was incomprehensible and they're apt not rpm.  Which leaves, what?  A week
or two wait for another OpenSUSE beta, an indeterminate wait for Fedora Core
9 to be available via FTP, or something else.  Sigh.

Does Ubuntu support both the proprietary accelerated ATI driver and Japanese?
I'm almost willing to give up rpm compatibility if I get something in
return.  I still
remember the horror of Storm Linux and trying to remove a package in apt and
having 2/3 of my packages removed at the same time.