Re: [tlug] Linux distro!: Centos is RHEL

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:15:18PM -0700, SL Baur wrote:
> On 4/21/08, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:
>

> Mandriva has no Asian language support, the Vine Linux download page
> was incomprehensible and they're apt not rpm.  Which leaves, what?  A week
> or two wait for another OpenSUSE beta, an indeterminate wait for Fedora Core
> 9 to be available via FTP, or something else.  Sigh.

Well, Fedora 9 has a thingie that will, hopefully, make it relatively
easy to update from Fedora 8.  The bugs are still being ironed out.
On the bright side, the Fedora testing list is far less busy than it was
a couple of weeks ago, meaning fewer people are having problem.s

> Does Ubuntu support both the proprietary accelerated ATI driver and Japanese?

It supports Japanese.  Although I cover it briefly on my page, at this
point, you're probably better off going through their forums for the
latest and greatest tutorial.

> I'm almost willing to give up rpm compatibility if I get something in
> return.  I still
> remember the horror of Storm Linux and trying to remove a package in apt and
> having 2/3 of my packages removed at the same time.

Noooo problem, Fedora can do that.  Remove wireless-tools and watch it
take away most KDE programs--oh, sorry, I thought you meant that was a
good thing.  :)

Ubuntu probably suffers from the same problem, though I really don't
know.  We have a bunch of Ubuntu-ites on here, so hopefully, someone can
give a better answer.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Angel, do you snore?
Angel: I don't know. It's been a long time since anyone's been in
a position to let me know.