Re: [tlug] Who is www-data, and why do they want my CPU? [SOLVED]

Evan, Keith, Stephen, Steven,

Thank you all for responding.

I had a little confusion about using "sudo" as opposed to actually being root by using the "su -" command, which accounts for why I was not able to gain access to the mysterious cron job.

Once I became root, I was able to view the contents of the crontab file for www-user.

Turns out, that the process being run every now and again is something that Zend Studio (PHP development environment) had put there.

So at least my system is not being hacked. But at the same time, I don't know what Zend needs to do every so often that commands so much CPU time. I'm going to contact their customer support and ask.

In the meantime, I'm going to turn it off and see if I can live without it.

Thank you all for your help!

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G