Re: [tlug] printing problem SOLVED

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:13:03PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Michal> I cannot say for sure, but it looks like the problem was
>     Michal> caused by cups package upgrades...
>

> ROTFL!  I was just being a cranky old BOFH/hacker!

The cups upgrade is more of a ROTFL where the L stands for Lamenting.
It broke many things, such as direct connections with USB or parellel
ports and printing to a Unix or Unixlike server from Windows and Macs.

1.2.1 fixed the samba issue (untested with the Mac, which wasn't using
samba--by then I'd given up and put the printer on a JetDirect) and
there are fixes, at least in FreeBSD, for the parallel/USB problem but
googling when I first had my issues showed that the problems were
neither distro nor O/S specific.  ;)

As I used workarounds, and have been too busy to keep up with it, I'm
not sure how many of the other issues have been fixed yet.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Isn't that what they called The Slayer?
Willow: Buffy, ohh scary.
Xander: Someone has to talk to her people. That name is striking
fear in nobody's hearts.