Re: [tlug] What is the best one?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: [tlug] What is the best one?

> On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 09:20, Scott McLennan wrote:
> >
> > So there is Mandrake, Debian and Redhat.
> > What is the best one?

> So here is my answer: whichever works best for you.

I've only installed two distros: Redhat J and Vine.
Even though it's called Redhat J I found using Japanese on it a lot more difficult than on Vine.  Vine is basically a Japanese
localisation of Redhat so they've pretty much sorted out most of the canna/wnn/kinput2 problems for most applications.  (I'm talking
about 'out of the box' installations here).

The only 'problem' with Vine is that they concentrate so much on stability that they are sometimes a little slow bringing new stuff
to the stable distribution.  There is a new release next month which will introduce the 2.4 kernel, X 4 and (at last!!) GNOME 1.4.

So, this is what 'works best for me'.  I'd really like to experiment more but I need a stable Japanese environment for work and ...
yeah, I know, there are a million excuses...