Mailing List Archive
Support open source code!
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Re: debian japanese
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Re: debian japanese
- From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <email@example.com>
- Date: 27 Mar 2002 14:42:59 +0900
- Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
- In-reply-to: <200203270048.g2R0miE15158@example.com>
- Organization: The XEmacs Project
- References: <200203270048.g2R0miE15158@example.com>
- Sender: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-agent: Gnus/5.0808 (Gnus v5.8.8) XEmacs/21.4 (Common Lisp)
>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Breen <email@example.com> writes: Jim> OK, so we add SuSE to RH and Mandrake on the list of breaking Jim> distros? 8-)} Literally? Yes. However, (1) in my experience SuSE is much better about documentation and passing things upstream than RH and Mandrake. (Granted, that perception may just be because Mike and I have known each other for several years now, and he regularly consults me on things that might affect XEmacs.) And (2) some breakage is necessary to regularize the UIs. Some users may be upset by changes. However, done properly with configuration files (as SuSE does) there is no reason why the configuration will suddenly break again if you change to an upstream distribution of the software. I would like to get my hands on the lackwit who pushed the ISO-8859/15-in-X-Compound-Text-Encoding damage through, though. One sorta suspects SuSE people had a hand in that. Not to mention the multiplicity of ways to handle UTF-8 in X11R6.5. -- Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp University of Tsukuba Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN Don't ask how you can "do" free software business; ask what your business can "do for" free software.
- Re: [tlug] Re: debian japanese
- From: Jim Breen
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Drag and Drop?
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] cisco router
- Previous by thread: [tlug] Re: debian japanese
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Re: debian japanese
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links