Re: [tlug] mutt configuration: /var/spool/mail/tony/:No such file or directory (errno=2)

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:15:11AM +0900,
SN_Diamond wrote:
> If directory /var/spool/mail doesn't have permissions 777, then you'll have
> to go into superuser mode and do this:
>   touch /var/spool/mail/tony
>   chown tony:users /var/spool/mail/tony
> or whatever your account name and group are.  I don't know if there are
> systems where /var/spool/mail has permissions lesser than 777.  As I think
> about it now, they really ought to be.

777!?  Gack.  You should know better than that!

777 means any user can steal, or at least destroy, any other user's
mail.  At worst it should be 1777, and at best, 770 or 2770 (with
ownership set to root:mail), which is what Debian and I believe Red
Hat derivatives use.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/