Re: tlug: setting mail domain

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Tony Laszlo wrote:

> With Linux it was easy.
>
> by setting the user domain in pine to "issho.org"
> and creating a user "info", I was also able to send
> mail as info@example.com , a virtual domain address
> that ISSHO is now able to use.
>
> Problem is, many ISSHO members are not using
> Linux, but will need to do the same thing on
> their Mac and Windows systems. I have scoured the
> net looking for ways to do the same thing on
> those systems, but haven't found anything
> that makes sense to me. I suppose these
> people are using things like Outlook, Eudora
> and Netscape as their mail readers...
>
> Is there an easy answer, or should I tell
> everyone to do the Linux thing?

Well, the domain part is easy.. just put:

DMissho.org

into the sendmail.cf on your master mail server, and have all the macs/PCs
relay mail through that server.

The 'info' part is a bit trickier - you could have them all send out the
mail as 'info' from their own machine, and then your server would rewrite
the domain portion... but there's probably a way to have sendmail rewrite
the username portion as well, although I'm not sure why you'd want
sendmail to arbitrarily rewrite all outgoing mail as 'info@example.com' :)

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA