Re: tlug: setting mail domain

    >> With Linux it was easy.
    >>
    >> by setting the user domain in pine to "issho.org" and creating
    >> a user "info", I was also able to send mail as info@example.com ,
    >> a virtual domain address that ISSHO is now able to use.

    >> Problem is, many ISSHO members are not using Linux, but will
    >> need to do the same thing on their Mac and Windows systems.

I don't understand what "the same thing" is.

(1) Users have mailboxes (perhaps just a .forward file) on issho.org,
    and want that to be the return address.

    Ans: change the configuration in the MUA to list that as the
    return address.  Personas or screen names, if available, will make
    this coexist conveniently with other return addresses they may
    want to use.

    The sendmail hack is a bit annoying, because presumably issho.org
    is not an ISP.  That means to get relaying done they need to type
    things like "user%real.domain.edu@example.com".  (You don't want
    them setting their SMTP server to issho's, and quite likely
    issho's host ISP won't permit anyway.)  They're going to forget
    (I'm sure none of the MUAs can do this automatically).

(2) Various users will receive info-related mail via a mailing list,
    and will be responding using the persona "info@example.com".

    Ans: This will require manual reconfiguration of the user agent,
    although some user agents allow you to adopt a persona by
    selecting from a menu, and presumably the mail filter would be
    part of the persona.  So they would set the filter to hide info
    traffic when they are using their personal persona, and to hide
    all other traffic in the info persona.  This would make use of
    correct persona in replies almost automatic although it would be
    easy to slip for new threads.  But I don't know if any of the ones
    you mentioned can do this.

    I can imagine variations on the redirector theme, but they all
    have the same defect that unless you are willing to provide 24x7
    SMTP service to your users (and how do you plan to prevent your
    open relay from being used for spam? configuration will not be
    easy), the users have to type in the redirector's address
    manually.

Other than that I don't see any easy answers.

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA