Re: [Lingo] 黒犬 vs. 黒い犬

Steve Smith wrote:
> I think maybe one shortcoming of Google Translate -- which is now using
> extensive AI -- is that it's trained with text only.

The problem is not with GT itself; it's with the add-on which attempts
to pronounce things. It uses a lexicon-based approach and in this case
(黒犬) its lexicon was inadequate. 黒犬 is not in many dictionaries, but
it's around: http://nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?1MUJ%E9%BB%92%E7%8A%AC

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University