Mailing List Archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Lingo] Terminology help

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016, at 06:59, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  > * The opposite of モバイル = ..... デスクトップ?
> There's an opposite to モバイル?  }:^}
> What's the use case?  I suspect this is a word where there are fine
> gradations of meaning that Japanese distinguishes where English
> doesn't.

I'm late as usual getting back to discussions I've started, but thanks
Jim and Steve for the responses.

To answer your question, I'm looking for something that indicates
accessing the web from a "normal, traditional" computer, i.e. almost
anything other than a phone. Let's throw tablets in with phones just to
make it clearer :=) Please don't ask me to define "normal, traditional
computer"... surely we can all agree on what that refers to? :=)

I used to occasionally use the term "furniture computer" to distinguish
those from laptops, but clearly (and sadly) now this distinction has
become entirely obsolete...

Anyway... considering that English (afaik) has no agreed-upon way to
name platforms for accessing the web that are not "mobile", I'm not sure
why I'm hoping that Japanese has one :=\


Home | Main Index | Thread Index

Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links