Re: [Lingo] Draft reading ...

On Friday 24 August 2007 04:26, Godwin Stewart wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:08:37 +0900, Nguyen Vu Hung
>> the Ubuntu community, as well as the open source community writ
>> large, to participate in this important global event.”
>
>Surely, "the open source community *at* large", no?

Since it's a quote, if it is incorrect you could write "the open source
community writ [sic] large" without changing the grammar.

>> In Vietnam, software freedom day resonates even more strongly, given
>> that massive copyright infringement, computer security problems, and
>> the need to improve the country’s IT skill level makes the choice of
>> Free software an obvious one.
>
>Make, not makes. The subject is plural (massive copyright infringement
>etc...)

Weird. "Makes" sounds better to my ear in this one case, but you are
correct, it should be "make". "A makes Z" and "A and B make Z" are
correct forms.

Other than these (very minor) issues, i'd say the original draft was
quite skillfully written. I might have changed "planet-wide" in the
first paragraph to "global" since i think "global" flows better, but
that is just a preference. One could certainly make the argument
that "planet-wide" is better because "global" is used elsewhere and in
such a short piece it might sound repetitive to use it twice.